Myanmar Waste Scoping Mission Report
This document was created by an Expert Team carried out a scoping mission in the period 13-24 March 2017. The focus was on Yangon, Meiktila and Mandalay. The mission concluded with a seminar on waste management in Myanmar and opportunities for cooperation, with a participation of almost 40 waste sector representatives from Myanmar.
Same as in many developing countries, Myanmar lacks an adequate backbone of waste management infrastructure and services So the country should focus on:
- improving overall levels of knowledge and skills
- increasing the coverage and quality of waste collection
- introducing waste transfer stations to cope with distances and traffic jams
- remediation, upgrading and upscaling of its dumpsites
- increasing the revenues of fees and the quality of fee collection