A symposium and technical workshop - The Science and Policy of Environmental Flows in Myanmar was held on 15th August 2018 at Inya Lake hotel by WWF Myanmar.
U Cho Cho, chairman of NWRC Advisory Group and Professor Dr. Khin Than Yu, pro-rector of Yangon Technological University gave an opening and welcome speech. Dr. Khin Ni Ni Thein, secretary of NWRC Advisory Group gave a closure remark.
The symposium included background information on e-flows, including case studies from Myanmar and other countries in the region.
The purpose of the symposium is to create common understanding of the current status of science and policy of e-flows in Myanmar.
The technical workshop included both presentations and group activities. Around 50 expertise from diverse organizations were participated in the technical workshop. The purpose and end result of the workshop will be to identify a strategy for the next steps in terms of research and policy for e-flows in Myanmar.
In the symposium, the following presentations were presented:
1. Sustainability is Good Business: Maintaining Basin Health and Developing Hydropower in Myanmar by Kate Lazarus from IFC
2. Environmental Flow Assessment of Lower Paung Laung Hydropower Project by Dr. Cho Cho Thin Kyi form YTU
3. E-Flows related Policy in Myanmar by Hannah Belata from WWF Myanmar on behalf of Dr. Win Maung
4. Setting the Scene for E-flows within Myanmar (Stage 0 Planning) by Dr. John Conallin from Charles Sturt University, IHE Delft
5. Assessment of Environmental Flow by Hydrological Approach in Myitnge River Basin by Su Su Hlaing from YTU
6. Status of E-flows Research in Myanmar by Dr. Win Win Zin form YTU
7. Environmental Flows: Lessons from two decades of implementation by Christopher Bonzi, WWF Myanmar